Masses inside the Church
Effective Sunday, June 20, 2021, ALL MASSES ARE NOW celebrated inside our Church at 100% capacity.
Misas dentro de la Iglesia
A partir del domingo 20de junio de 2021, TODAS LAS MISAS AHORA SE celebran dentro de nuestra Iglesia al 100% de su capacidad.
The COVID-19 outbreak has affected everyone. Since Sunday Masses have be cancelled, contributions have also been down. The church still needs your regular contribution. Please help by sending in your contribution in one of the following ways:
- Through the regular mail: 1070 North Texas Street, Fairfield, CA 94533
- Drop an envelope with your contribution in the mail slot at the main office
- Pay online via ConnectNow Giving. This is the preferred method.
As now all second collections have been cancelled. The Diocese will reschedule the second collections when the pandemic is over.
Holy Spirit Church was formed in 1943 when the Catholic community of Fairfield was offered the hall of the Holy Ghost Society. This hall served the Portuguese community as a social center for the SPRSI and other organizations of Fairfield. One of the faithful visited each of the Portuguese families asking permission to donate it for a new parish.
Plans soon began to remodel the hall into a church. Fr. John O'Brien became so involved in the remodeling that he took on carpentry projects himself. The entire Catholic community put forth effort to create their new parish, with the men doing the carpentry work and the women doing the needle work.
In 1951 the Diocese of San Francisco Church Building Committee discussed the building of a rectory for the new church. It was also recommended that a new location in the area be purchased for an entirely new plant. Fr. Joseph Pier soon presented the committee with a sketch for the proposed rectory. The new rectory on Broadway Street was completed in August of 1952. The church purchased property in 1951 on Highway 40 for a new school, hall and church. Holy Spirit School was finished in 1956 after many years of fund-raising and planning. The parish hall and convent were built at the same time.
By 1959 the plans for the new church were ready and construction began. The church was completed in the spring of 1961. The dedication ceremonies took place in April 23, 1961. Needing to relocate the rectory closer to the new site, it was placed on wheels and moved in 1962.
The new church came at a time when the universal Church began its many changes. On February 21, 1962, the church announced changes in the boundaries of many local dioceses. One of those changes moved Holy Spirit Church from the San Francisco Diocese to the Sacramento Diocese. The first session of Vatican II began in October of 1962 and brought forth many changes which this local church has adapted.
We have seen may changes over the years, and are sure to see many more, We are privileged to be a part to the history of this parish. We pray that future generations may come to know the legacy that is left for them. May they be blessed as they add new chapters to the story of our parish.